- Xuejiao Kang (CS) joined our lab. Welcome, Xuejiao!
- Lillian Liu got Best Abstract Award at Undergrad Research Poster Symposium, Purdue University on April 10! Congratulations, Lillian!
- Chao Yuan defended his MS thesis. Congratulations, Chao!
- Dr. Choi Youn Im, postdoc researcher, joined our lab. Welcome Choi!
- "Multi-LZerD: Multiple protein docking for asymmetric complexes" by Juan Esquivel-Rodriguez & D. Kihara accepted on Proteins.
- "Fitting multimeric protein complexes into electron microscopy maps using 3D Zernike descriptors" by Juan Esquivel-Rodriguez & D. Kihara accepted on J. Phys. Chemistry.
- Ross VerHeul (the PULSe program)started rotation. Welcome!
- "Formyl-coenzyme A (CoA):oxalate CoA-transferase from the acidophile Acetobacter aceti has a distinctive electrostatic surface and inherent acid stability" by Mullins,Starks, Francois, Sael, Kihara, & Kappock accepted on Protein Science.
- Juan Esquivel-Rodriguez got the 1st Place Award at the Sigma Xi grad poster competition at Purdue! Congratulations! His poster was on "Macromolecular structure modeling and electron microscopy fitting using 3D Zernike descriptors".
- Profs. Changsoon Park, Sungho Won from Chung-Ang University, Korea & Prof. Robert Elston from Case Western U. visited us for research discussion.
- Dr. Yi Xiong, postdoc researcher, joined us. Welcome Yi!
- "Structural features that predict real-value fluctuations of globular proteins" by M. Jamroz, A. Kolinski & D. Kihara accepted for Proteins.
- "Structure- and sequence-based function prediction for non-homologous proteins" by Sael, Chitale & Kihara accepted for Journal of Structural and Functional Genomics.
- "Detecting Local Ligand-Binding Site Similarity in Non-Homologous Proteins by Surface Patch Comparison" by L. Sael & D. Kihara accepted for Proteins.
- Professor Catherine Rayon from Universite de Picardie Jules Verne joined our lab for sabbartical. Welcome!
- "Protein Docking Prediction Using Predicted Protein-Protein Interface" by B. Li & D. Kihara accepted for BMC Bioinformatics.
- Lillian Liu, CS undergrad, joined us.
- Duy Hua (PULSe) started rotation. Welcome!
- "Evaluation of multiple protein docking structures using correctly predicted pairwise subunits" by J. Esquivel-Rodriguez & D. Kihara accepted for BMC Bioinformatics, GLBIO 2011 issue. This paper is selected as the Best Paper at GLBIO 2011!
- "Constructing patch-based ligand-binding pocket database for predicting function of proteins" by L.Sael & D.Kihara accepted for BMC Bioinformatics, GLBIO 2011 issue.
- David La and Bin Li got PhD. Congratulations, Drs. La and Li!
- Ishita Khan, CS grad student, joined our group. Welcome!
- "JnCML-like, an EF-hand motif-containing gene seasonally upregulated in the transition zone of black walnut (Juglans nigra L.)" by Zhonglian Huang, Priyanka Surana, Daisuke Kihara, Richard Meilan, Keith Woeste, accepted for American J. Molecular Biology.
- Professor Andrzej Kloczkowski, Nationwide Children's Hospital, Ohio State University, visited our lab and gave a seminar in Structural Biology seminar series.
- "Community wide asssessment of protein-interface modeling using a protein design based benchmark" by Fleishman et al. with Juan Esquivel-Rodriguez and D. Kihara accepted for J. Mol. Biol.
- "Quantification of protein group coherence and pathway assignment using functional association" by Meghana Chitale, Shriphani Palakodety & D Kihara accepted on BMC Bioinformatics.
- We welcome a new postdoc researcher, Dr. Hyung Rae Kim. Welcome, Hyung!
- "A novel method for protein-protein interaction site prediction using phylogenetic substitution models" by David La & Kihara accepted for Proteins. The BindML server is available here.
- We welcome 2 rotation students, Karthik Padmanabhan and Mindaugas Indriunas from Biology and PULSe program.
- Welcome undergrad students: Su Lin Ooi (CS), Shing Jay Ong (CS), Mi-sun Kong (Biol), Shucong Zhang (CS), Daniel Lee (BME).
- 2 CS grad students, Huairuo Ren and Yu Leng, joined us this semester.
- "A novel method for protein-protein interaction site prediction using phylogenetic substitution models" by David La & Kihara accepted for Proteins. The BindML server is available here.
- We welcome Mario Messih from King Abdullah University, Saudi Arabia for summer internship!
- Meghana Chitale is awarded ISMB 2011 Travel Fellowship for ISMB/ECCB, Vienna, July 17-19. She presents at AFP-SIG (oral) & main conference.
- "Function Prediction for Systems Level: Functional Coherence of Protein Groups and Identification of Missing Genes" by Meghana Chitale, Palakodety & Kihara selected for oral presentation at Automated Function Prediction SIG , ISMB 2011, July Vienna.
- "Identification of a novel effector domain of BIN1 for cancer suppression" by Lundgaard, Daniels, Pyndiah, Cassimere, Ahmed, Rodrigue, Kihara, Post, and Sakamuro accepted for Journal of Cellular Biochemistry.
- Juan Esquivel-Rodriguez is awarded ISMB 2011 Travel Fellowship for
ISMB/ECCB, Vienna, July 17-19. He presents at 3DSIG & main conference.
- Mehgana received AFP/CAFA travelfellowship to attend AFP Special Interest group meeting at ISMB, in Viena, Austria.
- "Binding ligand prediction by pocket surface comparison" (by Sael&Kihara) received the International Structural Genomics Organization Poster Prize at International Conference on Structural Genomics 2011 !
- "N-terminal Gly224-Gly411 Domain in Listeria Adhesion Protein Interacts with Host Receptor Hsp60" by B Jagadeesan,A Littlejohn;K. Mishra;D. La,D.Kihara,AK Bhunia accepted for PLoS ONE.
- Rupal is admitted to Ball State University, graduate program for dietrics. Congratulations!
- Satwica is admitted to Cheminformatics program at Indiana University. Congratulations!
- Muyi Liu joined our group from PULSe program. Welcome Muyi!
- Juan passed his Qual 2 exam.
- Yingei Ma was awarded College of Science Undergraduate Scholarship for the academic year 2011-2012 from College of Science, Purdue University!
- Meghana was awarded Bilsand Dissertation Fellowship from The Graduate School, Purdue University!
- Meghana was awarded a travel grant from the Women in Science Program at Dept. of Computer Science, Purdue University!
- 6 oral presentations selected from our group for GLBIO
- 3 poster presentations at Discovery Park Student Poster Session, April 6 (Wed) 2011, Hall for Discovery and Learning Research (DLR), 4:30-6:30pm
Started twitter account!
- Information theoretical approaches for protein sequences and structure, (Yingfei Ma, D. Kihara)
- SiteHunter: Interactive web applicatdion for determining protein ligand binding site location (Yinlong Jin, R. Ren, K. Modi, S. Jain, D. La, D. Kihara)
- Docking low-resolucion cryo-EM density maps aided by structural homology searching (Wansuk Lim, L. Sael, D. Kihara)
- Shriphani Palakodety was awarded Outstanding College of Science Junior Student from Computer Science Department. Only one student is selected at each year level from each department in College of Science. Congratulations!!
- We welcome Hayun Lee to our research team.
- Sael will apper in Bioinformatics seminar in Statistics on Feb 15.
- "Energetics-based discovery of protein-ligand interactions on a proteomics scale" by P-F Liu, D. Kihara, C. Park accepted for J. Mol. Biol.
- We welcome Satwica Yerneni for internship from India!
- The news about Sael's Best paper award is now on Biology and CS news.
- Junhui Wang has started rotation from Biology with us. Welcome.
- Welcome new members: Yingfei Ma, Liyun Fan, Yilon Jin, Wansuk Lim, Benjamin Bastnagel, Gaonan Zhang.
- Mr. Mindaugas Indriunas visited us from Lithuania and gave a seminar.
- VisGrid pocket detection tool is made available here.
- Best Paper Award received in the 21st International Conference on Genome Informatics (GIW2010) for "Protein surface representation for application to comparing low-resolution protein structure data" by L. Sael & D. Kihara.
- Hao Chen has accepted bioinformatics anaylist position from the J. Craig Ventor Institute. Bon voyage, Hao!
- "Binding ligand prediction for proteins using partial matching of
local surface patches" by Sael & Kihara accepted for International Journal of Molecular Sciences.
- We welcome new member, Michal Jamroz, from Warsaw University.
- Meghana has passed her prelim exam. Congratulations!
- A book edited by Kihara is in press from Springer Verlag: "Protein function prediction for omics era". Chapters by Meghana Chitale, Rayan Chikhi & Lee Sael are included.
- Biaobin Jiang has started rotation with us. Welcome!
- DK received the seed of success award from Purdue in recognition to the recent grant "Comprehensive mapping and annotation of the E. coli transcriptome (PI: BL Wanner).
- More new members: Xin Lu Tan, Kean Ming Tan. Welcome!
- New members in our lab:Shuai Liu, Yidi Wang, Wei-Chia SUn, Min-Su Kong. All welcome!
- Luciano and Muyi will rotate with our lab from Biology and PULSe. Welcome!
- "Effect of using suboptimal alignments in template-based protein structure prediction" by H. Chen & D. Kihara, accepted for Proteins.
"Molecular surface representation using 3D Zernike descriptors for protein shape comparison and docking" by D. Kihara, L. Sael, R. Chikhi, & J. Esquivel-Rodriguez accepted for Curr. Protein and Peptide Science.
- Lee Sael & Daisuke Kihara, "Protein surface representation for application to comparing low-resolution protein structure data" by L. Sael & D. Kihara accepted for BMC Bioinformatics (GIW 2010 issue).
- We welcome Mingjie Tang in our lab. Welcome, Mingjie!
- Sael finished her PhD thesis defence. Congratulations, Dr. Lee!
- Our work "Real-time ligand binding pocket database search using local surface Zernike descriptors" by R. Chikhi, L. Sael, D. Kihara is selected for oral presentation at 3DSIG 2010 at ISMB 2010!
- We are awarded a grant entitled "Elucidating genetic pathways for curing retinal degeneration" from Showalter Reserach Trust (PI: YF Leung).
- Dr. Lukasz Kurgan visited our lab.
- "Sub-AQUA: Real-Value Quality Assessment of Protein Structure Models" by Y.D. Yang, P. Spratt, H. CHen, C. Park, D. Kihara accepted for PEDS: protein engineering design & selection. Try the Sub-AQUA server!.
- Chao Yuan joined our lab. Welcome Chao!
- "Functional enrichment analyses and construction of functional similarity networks with high confidence function prediction by PFP" by T. Hawkins*, M. Chitale*, D. Kihara, accepted for BMC Bioninformatics. (* co-first authors).
- Yifeng defended his Ph.D. Congratulations, Dr. Yang!
- Hao successfully defended his Ph.D. Congratulations, Dr. Hao Chen!
- We welcome Mateusz Kurcinski to our lab.
- "Real-time ligand binding pocket database search using local surface descriptors" by Rayan Chikhi, L. Sael & D. Kihara accepted for Proteins.
- Our group has moved to a new building, Hockmyer Structural Biology building. Now we enjoy windows.
- "Application of 3D Zernike descriptors to shape-based ligand similarity searching" by V Venkatraman, PR. Chakravarthy, & D. Kihara, accepted for Journal of Cheminformatics.
- "Protein-protein docking using region-based 3D Zernike descriptors" by V Venkatraman, YD Yang, L Sael, & D. Kihara, accepted for BMC Bioinformatics.
- We are awarded an NIH grant "Comprehensive mapping and annotation of the E.coli transcriptome" (PI: BL Wanner).
- "3D-SURFER: Software for high throughput protein surface comparison and analysis" by David La*, Juan Esquivel-Rodriguez*, V. Venkatraman, B. Li, L. Sael, S. Ueng, S. Ahrendt & D. Kihara (* equal contribution) accepted for Bioinformatics. Visit the 3D-surfer server here
- Welcome new students in the lab: Syed Naqvi, Farrukh Arslan, Sangwook Lee, Malvika Mathur, Huariruo Roy Ren, Kunal Modi, Sajat Jain, Devin Luckett, Niket Gupta, and Shriphani Palakodety.
- Grant for a NSF proposal "III:Small:Quality assessment of computational protein models" (Kihara: PI) was awarded.
- Michael has graduated Department of Computer Science. Congratulations! He continues to work with us as a programmer.
- Sael has passed her prelim exam.
- Hao has passed his annual commitee meeting.
- Grant for a NSF proposal "Template-based protein structure prediction beyond sequence homology" (Kihara: PI) was awarded.
- Kihara's promotion to associate professor is on the news in the CS department.
- We have released the first distribution version of the EMD algorithm, a DNA motif search algorithm that takes an ensemble approach. It is available here
- "Characterization and classification of local protein surfaces using self-organizing map" by L. Sael & D. Kihara accepted for Int. J. of Knowledge Discovery in Bioinformatics.
- Awarded a research grant from the Purdue Research Foundation!
- Potential for protein surface shape analysis using spherical harmonics and 3D Zernike descriptors" by Vishwesh Venkatraman, Lee Sael, D. Kihara, accepted for Cell Biochemistry and Biophysics.
- We welcome En-Hsun Liu, Paul Tuck, Michael Gillogly, and Shen Liang for summer research with us.
- Steven has graduated Biology Department. Congratulations!
- Juan cleared his qual 1 exams.
- "ESG: Extended similarity group method for automated protein function prediction" By Meghana Chitale, Troy Hawkins, Changsoon Park, D. Kihara, has been accepted for Bioinformatics.
- Kihara's promotion to associate professor with tenure has been approved (effective August 2009).
- Gregg Thomas received Sandy Ostroy Undergraduate summer internship from Dept. of Biological Sciences. Congratulations!
- Bin has finished with his prelim.
- Prof. Hangchan Lee joined us as visiting professor. Welcome, Prof. Lee!
- Prof. Park has visited us. Welcome back, Prof. Park.
- Meghana passed her Qual2 exam!
- Yifeng receives Student Travel Grant to the 53nd Annual Meeting of the Biophysical Society from Biophysical Society.
- Letter Of Intent (LOI) between Research Center for Data Science, Chung-Ang University, Seoul, Korea, signed to leverage research and educational collaboration.
- Yifeng received PULSe travel award from PULSe program, Purdue University.
- Troy successfully finished his PhD defense. Congratulations, Dr. Hawkins!
- "Protein surface representation and comparison: New approaches in structural proteomics" by Sael & Kihara accepted for a book chapter on "Biological Data Mining", Chapman & Hall/CRC Press.
- "Quality assessment of computational protein models" by Kihara, Chen, & Yang accepted for publication in Current Protein and Peptide Science.
- We welcome rotation students from PULSe and Biology: Ruchika, Liang, and Lizhe!
- The Ecolihub project received the Seed of Success Award from Purdue University. Kihara is a co-PI on the project.
- We welcome new people, Steven, Jared, and Juan to our lab!
- Prof. Changsoon Park, Chung-Ang University, Korea, has visited us and discussed collaborative research projects. Welcome back, Prof. Park.
- David La's book chapter on Predicting binding interfaces of protein-protein interactions was accepted.
- A NSF proposal "Information transfer in biological systems" (Kihara: co-PI) was awarded.
- A letter published on Science, "The emerging world of wikis" by Jim C Hu et al.
- Sparsh joined for summer reseach. Welcome, Sparsh!
- Received a grant from Purdue Research Foundation through Computer Research Center, Purdue!
- "PFP: Automated prediction of gene ontology functional annotations with confidence scores" by Troy Hawkins, meghana Chitale, Stanislav Luban & D. Kihara accepted for Proteins.
- David La passed his prelim.
- Our EcoliHub project was reported on the Purdue News and NIH NIGMS!
- "Rapid comparison of properties on protein surface" by Lee Sael, David La, Bin Li, Raif Rustamov & D. Kihara accepted for Proteins.
- "ESG: Extended similarity group method for improved automated protein function prediction" by Meghana Chitale, Troy Hawkins, Changsoon Park & D. Kihara accepted for a talk at AFP/Biosapiens 2008!
- Welcome, Matt and Gregg, for summer research.
- Congratulations for graduation, Preston!
- "Automated prediction of protein function from sequence" by Meghana Chitale, Troy Hawkins & Daisuke Kihara, a chapter in "Prediction of Protein Structure, Functions and Interactions", Janusz Bujnicki (ed.), John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
- "Threading without optimizing weighting factors for scoring function" by Yifeng D. Yang, Changsoon Park & D. Kihara accepted for Proteins: Structure, Function, and Bioinformatics.
- Prinyanka has received 2008 Howard Hughes Undergraduate Research Internship. Congratulations!
- "Fast protein tertiary structure retrieval based on global surface shape similarity" by Lee Sael, Bin Li, David La, Yi Fang, K. Ramani, R. Rustamov & D. Kihara accepted for Proteins: Structure, Function, and Bioinformatics. Visit also 3D-Surfer website.
- 3D-Surfer, a server for rapid protein 3D structure search is released. For a user-uploaded, or selected PDB file, the server searches protein 3D structures with a similar surface shape in the entire PDB database in less than a minute. The conventional RMSD can be also computed to retrieved structures. Characteristic local surfaces, i.e. pockets and protrusions, are identified by our VisGrid algorithm.
- "Combining gene sequence similarity and textual information for gene function annotation" by Luo Si, D. Yu, D. Kihara, & F. Yi, accepted for Information Retrieval.
- We welcome Professor Changsoon Park from Chung-Ang University, Seoul, Korea, as visiting professor in our lab.
- "New paradigm in protein function prediction for large scale omics analysis" by T. Hawkins, M. Chitale & D. Kihara, accepted for Molecular BioSystems.
- GenPortrait, a software for visualizing and comparing genome sequences is upgraded to version 2.0! It can be also used for comparing metagenomics data.
- Meghana passed her qual1 exams!
- EcoliPredict database ver. 2.0 is released. EcoliPredict is a database of computational predictions of E. coli genes and genome. Current version contains protein 3D structure models computed by different programs with quality assessment information. EcoliPredict is intetegrated in and searchable from EcoliHub, E.coli hub data resource.
- Hao has been awarded YeungKyung Woo Achieve Excellence travel award from Dept. Biological Sciences, Purdue University.
- Hao receives Student Travel Grant to the 52nd Annual Meeting of the Biophysical Society from Biophysical Society.
- Welcome, Qiong and Alisa for rotation!
- Welcome Rupal!
- We welcome Dr. Vishwesh Venkatraman in our group!
- "Estimating quality of template-based protein models by alignment stability" by Hao Chen & Daisuke Kihara, accepted for Proteins: Str. Funct. Bioinformatics.
- Delegation from Harbin Institute of Technology, China, have visited our lab.
- We welcome new members in our group, Wen Jun Poh and Stephen Ueng, and Priyanka Surana.
- Professor Changsoon Park visited our lab.
- "Characterization of local geometry of protein surfaces with the visibility criterion" by Bin Li, Srinivasan Turuvekere, Manish Agrawal, David La, Karthik Ramani & Daisuke Kihara, accepted for Proteins: Str. Funct. Bioinformatics.
- "Tracing lineage in multi-version scientific databases" by Mingwu Zhang, Daisuke Kihara & Sunil Prabhakar, accepted for IEEE 7th International Symposium on Bioinformatics & Bioengineering (BIBE) 2007.
- Rayan joined us as summer intern from Cachan, France. Welcome, Rayan!
- Ju Hyung joined our group. Welcome!
- De'Rael joined our group as a summer intern from Georgia. Welcome, De'Rael!
- Troy's abstract has been accepted for an oral presentation at AFP/Biosapiens 2007 meeting at ISMB, Vienna, July 19-20, 2007. The talk is entitled "Enriching functional knowledge in proteomics data using high-throughput PFP prediction" by T. Hawkins, M. Chitale & D. Kihara. The PFP protein function prediction server is here.
- David La passed the qualifying exam. Congrats!
- Dr. Ikuo Uchiyama visited our lab.
- Sael passed Qual2 exam. Congrats!
- Hao's abstract was selected for an oral presentation in the Indianapolis Bioinformatics Conference. Good job, Hao, and let's get well prepared!
- Jiyeon joined our group. Welcome!
- Rex has graduated CS dept. Congratulations!
- Bin passed Qual2 exam! Congrats!
- Troy received Umbarger Outstanding Graduate Student Reserach Award, Dept. of Biological Sciences, Purdue Univesity. Congratulations!
- Preston received Honarable Mention at High Performance Computing Community Poster Session, Purdue Univeristy. Great job, Preson!
- Preston has received 2007 Howard Hughes Undergraduate Research Internship. Congratulations!
- "Salient critical points for meshes" by Liu Y.-S., Liu M, D. Kihara & K. Ramani accepted for ACM Solid and Physical Modeling Symposium 2007 (SPM2007).
- Meghana has joined our group. Welcome!
- Rex has joined our group. Welcome!
- Preston continues to work with us with DURI (Discovery Park Undergraduate Research Internship).
- Bin has passed qualifying exam. Congratulations!
- PFP was ranked the top in the head to head performance comparison in the function prediction category in the CASP7 contest! Invited for a round table discussion of function prediction in the CASP7 meeting held in Asilomar.
- Dr. Jarek Meller visited our group.
- "Comparative genomics of small RNAs in bacterial genomes" by S.Luban & D. Kihara accepted for Omics.
- Yifeng passed his prelim! Congratulations!
- Justin got a job in Chicago (and may work in Japan?). Congratulations!
- "Function prediction of uncharacterized proteins" by T. Hawkins & D. Kihara accepted for J. Bioinformatics and Computational Biology.
- Hao Chen passed the prelim!
- Aditi Gupta started rotation with us. Welcome!
- Dr. Ruth Nussinov visited our group.
- The second acorn for us ! - we received the Seed of Success Award from Purdue University for the NIH funded EcoliHub project.
- A reseacher from Ajinomoto Co. Inc. has visited out group.
- Steve, Preston, and Robert joined us. Welcome!
- Troy will be supported by NIH Molecular Biophysics Training Grant Fellowship!
- The NIH award to the EcoliHub database project was announced in College of Science News!
- "EMD: an ensemble algorithm for discovering regulatory motifs in DNA sequences" by J. Hu, Y.D. Yang & D. Kihara, accepted for BMC Bioinformatics.
- Two of our works, Troy Hawkins and David La were selected for oral presentations at the Third Annual Indiana Bioinformatics Conference!
- Sael successfully passed her qualifing exams. Congrats!
- Stan, Tan and Jairav have graduated. Congratulations!
- Troy gave a seminar at Georgia Tech.
- Howard joins our group this summer. Welcome, Howard!
- Received an NSF grant on Finding DNA/Protein motifs (D. Kihara, co-PI).
- Received a grant on protein structure modeling from a private company.(D. Kihara, PI).
- Dr. Hiroshi Kihara from Kansai Medical Univ., Japan visits us on March 24, and give a seminar on "Role of alpha-helical burst appeared in the early stage of protein folding" at G-424, 4-5pm.
- "Statistial potential-based amino acid similarity matrices for aligning distantly related protein sequences" by Y.H.Tan, H. Huang & D. Kihara accepted for Proteins: Struct. Funct. Bioinformatics.
- Prasad Siddavatam started Biology rotation with us. Welcome!
- David La received the 1st Place at the Sigma Xi Graduate Poster Competition with the poster entitled "Bridging geometric protein surface features and phylogenetic information for rapid identification of protein-protein interaction interfaces" by D. La, D. Liversay and D. Kihara. Congratulations!
- "Enhanced automated function prediction using distantly related sequences and contextual association by PFP" by T.Hawkins, S. Luban & D. Kihara, accepted for Protein Science The PFP server is available here.
- Received an NIH grant on EcoliHub Database (D. Kihara, co-PI).
- Yuhao Lin got a job in Eli Lilly. Congratulations!
- A peer-reviewed paper accepted for publication on Cancer Informatics! "Bioinformatics resources for cancer research with an emphasis on gene function and structure prediction tools." by D. Kihara, Yifeng D. Yang, & Troy Hawkins.
- Greg Ziegler started Biology rotation with us. Welcome!
- We received the Seed for Success Award from Purdue University!
- David La formally has joined our group!
- Chetak got a job in Chicago. Congratulations!
- 4 poster presentations accepted at International Conference on Genome Informatics, Yokohama Japan.
- Yen Hock Tan nominated for CRA Award from CS Dept, Purdue.
- David La will start Biology rotation with us. Welcome!
- Otto got a job in Indy. Congratulations!
- Now we received NIH R01 grant!
- The second peer-reviewed paper accepted for publication on Nucleic Acid Research!
"Potentials and Limitations of Current Motif Discovery Algorithms" by Jianjun Hu, Bin
Li, and Daisuke Kihara
- Athurva Gore's "BioQ: A 3D Querying Engine for Proteins" received a top
poster award at SURF (Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship) Poster
The success of the PFP server is now featured in a
news article in the Department of Computer Science Purdue University
The success of the PFP server
is now featured in the
July issue of
the newsletter of College of Science, Purdue University
Our PFP server for
protein function prediction performed the best in the Automatic Function Prediction
Special Interest Group (AFP-SIG)
Luis Avila from St. Edwards University will stay with us for eight weeks with us.
We received Purdue Alumni Association Faculty Incentive Grant
Troy Hawkins passed the preliminary examinations. Congratulations!
Dr. Weidong Tian from Buffalo Center of Excellence in Bioinformatics (Skolnick Lab)
Katie Krajnak from Indiana Academy of Science will stay with us for two weeks as a
summer intern. Welcome!
Troy Hawkins's work on protein function prediction is accepted for oral presentation
in ISMB for the Automated Function Prediction Special Interest Group meeting
Department of Biological Sciences, Purdue University Award and Recognition Reception recipients include:
Daisuke Kihara (PRF Summer Faculty Grant)
Troy Hawkins (Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant)
Stan Luban (Purdue/Howard Hughes Medical Institute Summer Internship)
Yen Hock Tan (Purdue/Howard Hughes Medical Institute Summer Internship)
Adam Boyko (Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant)
Ei Ei Phyu received Howard Hughes fellowship for undergraduate research in Bioinformatics
Troy Hawkins received the 2005 Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant Award in the Department of Biological Sciences,
The first paper from our group was accepted for publication in Protein Science! "On the effect of the
long-range interactions on the secondary structure formation of proteins"
by Daisuke Kihara
Ei Ei Phyu, Yen Hock Tan, and Stan Luban's Howard Hughes Awards is now featured in a
news article in the Department
of Computer Science, Purdue University
Yen Hock Tan's picture at the Undergraduate Research Poster Presentation, College of Science & College of
Agriculture, Purdue University is on the front page of Local section of April 13th
Journal and Courier
Stan Luban's poster received Outstanding Research Award at the Undergraduate Research Poster Presentation, College
of Science & College of Agriculture, Purdue University
Otoniel Venezuela received Graduate School Incentive Grant
Dr. Yasuo Hata
from Institute for Chemical Research, Kyoto University, Japan visited us
Yen Hock Tan's scholarship from Hewlett-Packard during the Department of Computer Science, Purdue University Awards
banquet is now featured in a
news article in the Department of Computer Science, Purdue University
"PFP: Automatic annotation of protein function by relative GO association in multiple functional contexts"
by Troy Hawkins and Daisuke Kihara accepted for poster presentation at ISMB 2005
Troy Hawkins's PFP server accepted for the
AFP 2005 server submission challenge at ISMB conference
Received a message from CASP6 Organizer: "Dear CASP6 predictor, Your group (P0530) submitted the best or
nearly the best prediction for the following targets: D1_T0239". Congratulations CASP6 structure prediction
team of Otoniel Venezuela, Yen Hock Tan, and Daisuke Kihara!
Dr. Min Joong Jeong from Computational Biology Research Center, Tokyo visited us. He will give a
seminar entitled "Decision Support System for Design Optimization and Fragment Assembly
for Protein Structure Optimization"
Daisuke Kihara received PRF Summer Faculty Grant
Stan Luban and Yen Hock Tan received Howard Hughes Summer Internship
Yifeng Yang will start PULSe rotation with us. Welcome!
Congratulations to Hao Chen for his success in his first committee meeting!
Congratulations to Bin Li and family for his first child, Meixiang Li (Grace)!
Hyun Chul Lee will start PULSe rotation with us. Welcome!
News Archives are available here.
- 1 postdoc position is available. Please see here
Kihara Bioinformatics Laboratory is always looking for new people to join the lab. Our current list of openings is available here.